Monday, October 22, 2012

Pumpkin Ice Cream


I love pumpkin treats. (See November 4, 2010 post.) I have always wanted to make pumpkin ice cream and I finally did. Mmmmmm. This could be the best ice cream I've ever made. I found a couple of recipes on the Internet, changed a few things to suit my own taste, and voila! Glad I took notes as I went because it's practically pumpkin perfection. We had it for dessert last night. I had it for lunch and dinner today. It's really good served with a couple of ginger snaps.

Pumpkin Ice Cream

3 cups cream
2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
10 large egg yolks
one cinnamon stick
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin

Place the pumpkin in a strainer over a bowl. Let stand while you proceed with the recipe. Some water will drain out.

In a medium saucepan, mix together cream, milk, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.

Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl.

Heat the cream mixture until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Whisking quickly, add some of the cream mixture into the egg yolks. Continue to add cream mixture until half of it has been whisked into the egg yolks. Then whisk it back into what's left in the pan.

Cook over low heat (really important), stirring constantly for about five minutes.

Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer. Strain a second time. Mix in the brown sugar. Add the cinnamon stick, and chill well. Overnight is good but not absolutely necessary.

Remove the cinnamon stick. Whisk in the vanilla and the pumpkin. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer. Strain it again. And maybe once more. (Yes, lots of straining in this recipe.) Then freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions. 


6 comments:

  1. I have "lost my cooking focus" (hmm where did I hear that) lately so I might have to come try a taste at your home rather than strive to make it myself! Applause all around to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Do you have a pumpkin cheesecake recipe? I saw one at Coercion that looked so good, but seeing as I can't eat 30 portions on my own, I'm looking to make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have one, Robyn, but I can't find it. Look on the Internet though. I'm sure there are tons. Yum. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

      Delete
  3. Melinda, I think I might have that pumpkin cheesecake recipe. We both had the same one from Bon Appetit, if I remember correctly. I'll look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was pumpkin cheesecake with caramel swirl from the November 1993 issue of Bon Appetit. i googled it and found the recipe on Epicurious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right! Hey Robyn, it's a good one. You could Google it, too. Thanks, Beckie!

    ReplyDelete