Monday, June 18, 2012

Apricot Pepper Jelly


I made a batch of apricot pepper jelly a few weeks ago. I meant to make apricot jalapeno jam, but the peppers I used obviously weren't hot enough. I was a bit disappointed, but it's still delicious.

My neighbor, Amie, came over while I was in production. While I was telling her what I was making, my son, Jeff, came into the kitchen and heard me.

"What, Mom? You're not really doing this, are you? Again? Making a whole bunch of some weird thing that's going to turn out disgusting and go to waste? I can't believe you're doing this."

"Jeff, apricot jalapeno jam is not weird," I defended myself. "I'm not making it up. It's very gourmet."

And then

"And what do you mean again? Jeffrey, name one time I made a whole bunch of some weird thing that turned out disgusting and went to waste? I defy you to name one thing."

He still hasn't been able to come up with anything.

Apricot Pepper Jelly
(makes nine half pint jars)

4 cups smashed apricots (use potato masher)
1 cup yellow and red bell and some red chili peppers, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
7 cups sugar
1 box pectin (like Sure Jell)

I bought a box of apricots at Costco and let them get nice and ripe.


No need to peel the apricots. Just slice in half to remove the pit and then smash them with a potato masher.


Roughly chop the peppers and put them in a blender with some water. Pulse six or seven times and then strain.


 Sterilize half pint jars by running them through the dishwasher. Keep them hot in there until ready to fill. Place lids in a small saucepan of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down to low heat. Have rings ready.

Measure exactly four cups of smashed apricots and one cup of peppers into a large pot. Stir in lemon juice.

Measure the sugar carefully and have ready in a bowl.

Add the pectin to the fruit and pepper mixture. Stirring constantly, bring it to a full rolling boil on high heat. Quickly stir in the sugar and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for exactly one minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam.

Use a large measuring cup with a pouring spout to quickly fill the hot jars. Fill to within 1/4 inch of top. Wipe any spills from the rims with a clean, damp paper towel. Put lids on jars. Screw on rings using thumb and two fingers. (Not too tight.) Immediately turn jars upside down on the counter top. Time for ten minutes, then turn them right-side-up. Lids will seal.

Next time, I'm going to use HOT peppers. My friend Judy has a recipe for a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with apricot jalapeno jam. I want to make one for Jeff.

Because guess what.

Jeffrey loves the apricot pepper jelly.

Ha!

Really.

He and I have already gone through three jars and a few boxes of Wheat Thins.


1 comment:

  1. Yummy! We love to pour it over a brick of cream cheese and eat it with wheat thins :)

    ReplyDelete