Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lunchtime!

It's almost lunchtime, and I can hardly wait. While everybody else is at school or work, I like to treat myself to whatever sounds good for lunch. Often it's something that nobody else in the family will eat, like asparagus, eggplant, or any variety of squash. These days it's eggplant. It's been my most successful garden crop this year and I've been picking them like crazy.

I have three favorite lunches I want to share with you:

Peanut Butter Toast with Fresh Sliced Strawberries

This one is pretty simple. Toast a slice of whole grain wheat bread. Spread with your favorite brand of peanut butter. Top with sliced fresh strawberries. So good. Mmm. I discovered this over the summer and ate it a lot. Peanut butter and jelly? Jelly is made out of fruit, right? It's a natural next step.

Grilled Eggplant and Toasted Pine Nut Couscous

Again, this is pretty simple to make. Buy a box of Near East Toasted Pine Nut Couscous and prepare according to package directions. Slice an eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices. Brush with olive oil. Grind sea salt and black pepper over slices. Grill on high until black marks appear and eggplant is soft in the center. Place on a plate alongside the couscous.

Asparagus and Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Cut Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese into tiny cubes and place them on a plate. Break asparagus into bite-sized pieces. Saute them on high in a little olive oil until edges blacken but asparagus is still bright green. Not very long at all. Dump asparagus over the cheese. Eat with rice crackers and a perfectly ripe pear. 

Lunchtime!

1 comment:

  1. I want to come to your house for lunch :)
    And I'll have to look for the pine nut couscous--it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete